4.55 p.m., I was down the stairs of Antaninarenina when I saw 2 trucks of firefighters. Suddenly, I heard people screaming then turned my head to the Esplanade Analakely, I could see smoke from… I was not sure until I came nearer… I could see smoke from a Gargote.
Normally, I used to think that running and gathering to see what’s happening was silly, though today, automatically, I run while trying to take out my camera (watching around if doing so was safe 😀 ). Arrived at the burning wreckage, the crowd had already surrounded the place, disturbing the firefighters. They angrily instructed these people to move back. As I talked to a responsible, I could come nearer the zone and take some pics.
Quickly, the firefighters opened the Gargote, pulled their big pipes and watered the room on fire. The led-firefighter calmed down the curious people around, there was noone inside, only materials. Everything in the little gargote was burnt and destroyed: table, chairs, plates, …
What interested everyone as well was to know the source of the fire. A young lady who is working at the Gargote, on her way home, was called by the neighbors and came back to see the damage. Another lady, the owner, also arrived. I tried to talk to them and asked what may have caused the fire. They pretended not to know, though the proof was there, the firefighters discovered a charcoal fire.
Fortunately, the firefighters were on time, if not the whole block would have been set on fire.
Such case of frogotten fire charcoal or candles has already destroyed many homes and killed several people in Madagascar. I sincerely hope that, at least the crowd who were present today, would be more cautious in future.